IF CREMATION IS YOUR CHOICE, you will find that Forest Hills Crematory is the appropriate destination. As the first crematory established in New England, we have over 120 years of experience providing families with a complete professional program of cremation at our on-site crematory.
Since 1893, only forty-five years after the consecration of Forest Hills Cemetery, cremation has been a vital part of the services offered at this beautiful garden cemetery. We have honored the tradition of cremation as preparation for memorialzation.
At Forest Hills Cemetery, we offer in-ground burial, a scattering garden, inurnment in one of the chapels in our indoor columbarium, niches in our outdoor columbarium, Twin Peaks, in the contemporary section, or Fern Hill, a beautiful forested setting.
Our Offerings Include —
- Cremation Service — Cremation in our facility at 171 Walk Hill Street
- In-ground Burial — Cremated remains can be interred in any of our in-ground graves throughout the Cemetery, especially at Fern Hill
- Scattering — Cremated remains can be scattered with respect and care in our unique Scattering Garden at Fern Hill
- Columbarium – Outdoor — We have two lovely options for outdoor urn placement: Fern Hill and Twin Peaks
- Columbarium – Indoor — Our newly refurbished columbarium building offers an indoor option for urn placement
- Urns — Urns come in many different shapes, sizes, materials, colors, and finishes. We offer a small selection of urns to choose from in our office, but recommend that families may also wish to shop to find the best urn to suit their needs and wishes
There are several ways to memorialize a loved one at Forest Hills. Often when people are first choosing cremation they do not think about memorialization, especially if they are planning to scatter their ashes somewhere in nature. However, memorialization can create a place for family and friends to visit, honor and remember their loved ones.
Memorial Tablets at Fern Hill Cremation Garden
Three granite tablets set among the ivy ground cover of Fern Hill are designed to accommodate engraved names and dates as an outdoor form of memorialization close to the scattering garden. The tablets provide a striking memorial in the beautiful and natural setting of Fern Hill Cremation Garden.
The Tree of Remembrance
Another beautiful option is the Tree of Remembrance located in our Columbarium. You select a bronze leaf from this tree on which the name of your loved one will be engraved and permanently displayed. The Tree is often used to remember individuals who have been scattered at Fern Hill, or even buried elsewhere.